Sunday 18 October 2009

When things go wrong Pt. 2

After tidying up my face to the best of my abilities, I then moved on to next tutorial, which was titled "Unwrapping UVs for Organic Models".
This tutorial shows you how to use a process titled "Unwrap UVW".
It started off with some rather simple techniques, which involved selecting all the faces minus the ear, and changing their UVW map parameters. For the first set of faces, this involved changing them to to cylindrical, and the axis to X.
You then clicked the edit button beneath paramaters, and this brought up a window with the UV map in it.
This was where I hit my first major problem. The map did not look anything like the one being shown to me in the video, and was rather squashed.
I was able to follow the tutorial onwards however, and I did manage to adjust the faces that over lapped. This tutorial then ended and I carried on to part 2.
Part 2 was the stage where everything went categorically wrong. Selecting the ear, and repeating a similar process to above, I could not get the ear to display correctly, or at the right angle. Because of this, it was impossible to follow the tutorial as it talked about the ear and how to mesh it etc. Skipping this step, I then reached another problem at the next stage.
The next stage required me to use a function of the UVW map editor titled "select inverted faces". This function was completely unavaliable for me at this stage, and remained this way throughout my final attempts at the tutorial.
The tutorial then wanted me to mirror my face on the UVW map in order to get it to cover both faces, however, several attempts at doing this all ended in failure, as my faces UVW map does not appear correctly in the editor, no matter how many times I reattempt this tutorial.
The screenshot below illustrates my problem:
The following tutorial requires you to export a UVW map into Photoshop, in order to edit it further and to add a photo realistic texture to it. However, because of my above problems, I will unfortunatly be unable to continue with the tutorial past this stage as it is no longer possible to follow.
My solution to finishing the head will be to add a simple texture using the material editor. This won't result in a photo realistic head, but it will result in a head which hopefully resembles a head.

No comments:

Post a Comment