Thursday 15 October 2009

Creating the Ear

The ear is possibly the most complex part that I have come across in creating the head. Making sure I kept all quadrants relative to my guide pictures was complex, however they now seem much easier after creating the ear.
To begin the lengthy process of creating an ear, we firstly returned to the guideline pictures in Photoshop.
Here, the first task was to draw feature lines once again in blue onto the major features of the ear. This included the ear canal, the ear lobe and certain sections of the inner ear.
The next step was to draw on the quadrants. This was similar to the work I did previously, however this time, I had to ensure that I didn't draw too many as this would over complicate the ear.
After I had finished drawing the lines, I returned to 3Dsmax, where the lines I had drawn appeared on my guideline pictures. Next, I drew lines over my quads, exactly the same as I had done with the face.
Once this was done, I joined the quads together, and then began the process of dragging out the points along the x-axis.
Once this was done, it was possible to see the shape of the ear. At this stage the ear still looked rather rough and there was no backing to it.
It was important to adjust the positioning of the ears quadrants to give it depth and shape.
The tutorial then guided me on how to make the back of the ear look correct. However, this was the first stage in which I felt the tutorial was completely impossible to understand, and I struggled to follow the instructions. Because of this, my ear has very little backing to it, and in the places where there is backing it has affected the front of the ear immensely.
After this, I attached the ear to the side of the head and this stage in the tutorial was completed. As can be seen from the screenshots below, the ear is not perfect, but is identifiable as an ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment