Monday 12 October 2009

Back of the head

The next stage in the tutorial involved creating the rest of the head, including the neck.
The first task, was to simply create a sphere. this sphere had to be of similar size to the face, and it needed to have both poles on the x-axis.
Once this was created, using the scale tool, I scaled the sphere to make it less round and more head shaped.
After this, I needed to remove faces from it. To do this, I first switched to the left viewport, and then changed the rectangular selection tool to paint selection. Then, holding down the ctrl key, I dragged over the regions I did not need, notably the central area (around the pole) and any area covered by the face. Usefully, the paint selection option automatically duplicates all selections on the opposite side, so this helped me save time. After selecting the regions I needed, I deleted the faces I had previously selected.
The next step was to deleted the right side of the sphere now, as it would no longer be needed, because I would be using the symetry tool again later to duplicate the left side. This once again is to save time.
The next step is to match up the face from the top front of the sphere, to the quadrants on my face. Using the soft selection tool found under the modify menu, I was able to align up the faces.
Once I had matched up the faces, I then needed to clone the faces on the rear of the head, aligning them with the quadrants I had previously drawn, and snapping them to the front of my head.
This stage took several attempts for me to get it to work right, and I still feel that my results look a little "blocky".
The next stage was to increase this down further to create a neck and shoulder area, however I could not follow any guide as my photos did not include both a shoulder area, or much of a neck (mainly because in my photo I was wearing a collared shirt, verus a t-shirt).
After I had created and tidied up the side of the head, I then had to once again use the symmetry tool to create the opposite side of the head. My results after tidying the side up are shown below:

No comments:

Post a Comment